Elder Jared Moser has been called to serve in the Chile Santiago West Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He entered the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on August 22, 2012.

We will use this blog to post his e-mails, letters, and photos from his mission, to record them for him and to share with his family and friends.

Feel free to make comments, but he will not have internet access and will not see the comments until he returns home.

For readability, some spelling, punctuation, and capitalization have been standardized.

Mailing Address

MAILING ADDRESS


Elder Jared H. Moser
Mission Chile Santiago Oeste
Casilla de Correos 149
Pajaritos 1921
Maipu, Chile

Monday, November 5, 2012

E-mail

Hello!!  Thanks for sending those pictures Dad!  It was great to see what everyone was up to in the states for Halloween!  Looks like everyone had a bunch of fun!  And thanks for sending the forecast!  That is a great idea!  It is good to know since we can't check or anything.  And yep that looks like us on the picture from Google Earth you sent, I think!!  It is hard to tell because I never see a birds-eye view of anything!  Just a 5 foot 6 man's view, but that looks about right, everything looks the same though here in Chile so I might be wrong!  And the thing you described as a garage sale. That is a huge part of Chilean culture.  It is called the feria. Every weekend and a lot of other days during the week everyone sets up a little stand with food or whatever they want.  Most of it is just trash and they fill up the whole street and that goes most of the day and then at night they have a big crew that comes in and clean it all up for the next day.  It is such a big mess on the streets every day after it is over!  We as missionaries aren´t allowed to shop in it because Monday is one of the days they don´t have it.  And about the apartment, haha, ya the pictures I sent make it look pretty stinkin nice and it really isn´t bad at all!  Until you have to shower and sleep then it gets a little tricky!  They don´t have insulation so it  gets super hot or super cold depending on the weather, but it really hasn´t been bad at all yet!  It is a lot nicer than what a lot of the members are living in!  It is so weird when you said you got the snowblower out!  Here the flowers are just blossoming and it is getting hot, it is just weird to have my seasons backwards!  I tried to take more pictures this week but I forgot to bring my camera to the internet place so I will have to do that next week.  And about the tomatoes and avocados, well, the only explanation I have is the Lord blesses missionaries!  At the MTC I still got sick when I ate that kind of stuff but I prayed I would be able to eat that stuff because members have them for every meal and I haven't gotten sick from them yet and I eat it just about every day.  I try not to eat a lot but I eat a good amount and I'm fine!  Pretty awesome!! A lot of people get offended if you turn down food, so it definitely helps out a lot to not offend them!  I'm super thankful for it!  And I am glad the Church is true there in Bedford!  We had Stake conference here this week and the Church is true here too! President King came and talked and it was great to hear him!  I did get the Dear Elder last Tuesday so I think it takes a week and a day to get to me which is really good.  Well this week we taught a lot of lessons but right now everyone is kind of stagnant.  There are some that are looking pretty promising but it is a super slow process for them all which is good!  Just for an idea the average for us is about 30-35 lessons a week including member and investigator, and we do about 100 contacts a week.  Keeps us pretty busy, but it has been fun teaching lessons to everyone.  Elder Myers is a great companion, and he really knows his stuff and is a great teacher. He goes home the day after Christmas so it will be sad to see him go!  One thing I am thankful for in America is the hamburger meat!  We made hamburgers for lunch today with the member kid and in the ground beef from the store we found all sorts of things!  like string and plastic and stuff like that.  He just says it is normal and you have to pick through it before you can cook it, so I am thankful for clean ground beef back home!  Chilean people really don't look that much different from Americans.  There are some that I could not tell the difference from them and an American.  I thought that was interesting, the guys more so than the girls. The only thing we have to really worry about here in Chile is the flaytas. They are the gangsters down here. It is kind of funny because if people in America wore what the flaytas wore down here well I would mistake them for being a little on the femmy side, but I guess they will still take your money no matter what they are wearing! But missionaries usually don't have too much problem with them so it isn't too worrysome. It has really been a lot of fun down here and I am super glad that the Lord sent me here on my mission!  When are Mom and Megan going down to Columbia?? We taught a Columbian guy the other day and he was so much easier to understand then the Chileans!  It would be fun to go to Columbia!  I am sure they will have a great time there!  Well I hope everyone has a great week this week!  Thanks for all the prayers!
Elder Moser.
haha, oh ya, one more thing I wanted to ask you, Dad.  You had to wear your suit everyday in Florida????  How did you do that? haha, We were dying walking back from Stake conference yesterday and that was only for a half hour in the sun!  Crazy!  Couldn't imagine wearing it all the time!!

No comments: