Elder Jared Moser has been called to serve in the Chile Santiago West Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He entered the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on August 22, 2012.

We will use this blog to post his e-mails, letters, and photos from his mission, to record them for him and to share with his family and friends.

Feel free to make comments, but he will not have internet access and will not see the comments until he returns home.

For readability, some spelling, punctuation, and capitalization have been standardized.

Mailing Address

MAILING ADDRESS


Elder Jared H. Moser
Mission Chile Santiago Oeste
Casilla de Correos 149
Pajaritos 1921
Maipu, Chile

Monday, March 17, 2014

E-mail and Photos

Hola!  Thanks for all the pictures and stuff Dad, it looks like you are really enjoying those trips to Jackson every week!!  And man, that is a lot of snow up there still!  Or a really short sign!  And I think you are right about Cayden - I better get pumping those weights in the mornings or I am gonna be in trouble! 
      About the earthquake:  Yesterday we were in a lesson with a less active lady and her kids and the neighbor came running over and told us about the earthquake, because the husband of the lady we were teaching was in the town of Iqueqe where it happened so she started to freak out a little bit, but we called up her husband and said everything was fine.  Said it shook pretty dang good, but nothing bad happened.  He had to evacuate the city for a tsunami warning, but as far as I know nothing happened though.  But that was not the first earthquake that happened down here - I forgot to tell you about it last week but about a week and a half ago we had a pretty decent one down here in Santiago.  I heard it was a 5.8 but not exactly sure.  It was pretty funny though, because I was talking to my comp about why he sleeps in his clothes, cause it has been pretty hot at nights and I always sleep just in my underwear.  He always told me I was stupid for doing that, but he would never tell me why.  Anyway I found out why - I had to learn by experience!  He lives right next to Chile, so he has experienced quite a few earthquakes in his life.  But anyways, I was sound asleep and it was about two in the morning, and I started to hear my comp yell vamos vamos!!  And I was still pretty out of it and just said que te pasa or what's wrong with you??  Then I felt what was wrong, my bed was shaking really bad, haha.  Anyway, he was already opening the front door, so I took off towards the door, but forgot my glasses, and you all know how blind I am, and so when I was running down the stairs from our apartment building I realized two things - I couldn't see, and I was in my underwear, haha.  By the time I realized it I was at the bottom of the stairs and there was definitely more people than just my comp outside, so I decided the ground was not shaking too bad and took off towards the apartment again, haha.  Figured it would be better to take my chances than be out in my underwear, haha.  So I ran to my closet and started to put on some shorts and a t-shirt  but by that time the ground had stopped shaking, and my comp was back up in the room dying of laughter, haha.  Thought it was pretty funny stuff!!  Anyways, I learned why it ain't good to just sleep in your underwear here in Chile.  All my comp said was le dije jill, or I told ya fool, haha, then we went back to bed for the night.  It was the biggest earthquake I have felt in my life though, pretty cool stuff.  I thought a train was driving though our apartment complex, pretty loud stuff!  But after that one there were three or four more the next few days, a little smaller but still pretty strong.  It has been kinda fun!  And don't worry, I sleep in shorts now, haha.  Everybody thinks we are gonna see a big one down here in Santiago anytime soon so we will see what happens - just gotta keep living the commandments and I will be all good, haha. 
     Other than the earthquakes, it has been a pretty good week so far!  Patricio and Benedicto both came to church yesterday, and Benedicto is starting the process to quit smoking.  It is gonna be tough, but I am sure he will be able to do it.  He has changed a lot from the first time I met him drunk on the street!  And Patricio is doing good and wants to be baptized but is heading to the south for a while, so hopefully we don't lose him with that - I think he will be ok though.
     This week we were able to find some good new people doing tours of the chapel.  We did a tour with one guy, a big guy, probably 6 foot 3, and has to be about 350 to 400 pounds, but he was super interested.  He liked it all a lot, and wanted us to come by and share our message with the ELEVEN kids that he has.  Ya, think we found the jackpot with his family, haha.  We have a lesson with them Wednesday, so we will see how that goes!  He is a pretty sweet guy.
     Other than that it was a pretty normal week.  My comp goes home in a week, so he is getting pretty trunky, haha.  I'm just trying to hang in there with him!  He is getting pretty scared though, and it makes me nervous just watching him!  Oh by the way Dad, President is sending us home two weeks before the 9th of September.  It would be great for you guys to come, but not sure if there is time.  Sure would not have very much time at home.  Kinda wanna enjoy the mountains a little bit before I head off to school and stuff!  But what do you guys think?  It would be about the 25th of August when I would be heading home.
     Hey that is a pretty sweet pen that you made!  Getting pretty good Dad!!!
I hope everyone is doing great!!  Have a great week this week!  Les quiero mucho!

Elder Moser

 Ward Baptism

 Painting

Family from Bolivia 

Stylin'

No comments: